Sunday, June 29, 2008

Heat, Denver & Strawberries

It was HOT in Seattle last weekend. Which is to say low 90s and "warm" anywhere else I have lived, BUT the difference is that in Seattle, there is much less access to A/C - like in our house for instance... So that was a big bummer. I had forgotten how much it sucks to sleep in a house that feels like an oven overnight. Not fun.

Steve was in Denver this weekend, so I held down the fort at home with the dogs. While he was in Denver, I found myself overly nostalgic for things I miss after seven years of living in Denver. Beyond missing my friends and co-workers there, I was missing some of my favorite restaurants and haunts (where for art thou Noodles & Co.? Einstein's? Texas Roadhouse? Las Fajitas?)...but mainly I was missing my damn air conditioning...and thankfully it has cooled down substanitially the last couple of days.

Of course as soon as I start to miss Denver - I take a drive, turn a corner, and Mt. Rainier reveals itself in all it's splendid glory. Or I take a drive along the marina, where the breeze is fresh and cool, and I get to go to my favorite fish'n'chips place (which is NOT a Long John Silvers!) and remember all the things that pulled me back to the Pacific Northwest (beyond my family of course). I guess there are pros and cons to every town. You have to take the good with the bad no matter where you land.

Speaking of loving where you land - I am reading "Eat, Pray, Love" right now and I am loving it! I relate to the author's story in so many ways. It also reminds where I have been, and how far I have come in the last five years. (I highly recommend this book if you have not read it!)

...but I still miss the cinnamon butter rolls at Texas Roadhouse...anyway - I digress...

So this weekend was the local Strawberry Festival, which reminds me of the super cute hand knit beanie that I got for Lia last week:



Do you LOVE IT? These hats are made by a local company in Seattle. They also do a - yes ladies - a Ladybug Hat (which is sure to be my next purchase...).

Hope everyone has a splendid holiday weekend!

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
OH MY #6 said...

that hat is too cute! And, I think I might just have to purchase that book. I see everyone reading it on the subway. Thanx for the tip.

Have a good day.

Lea
xo

Mommy Spice said...

We have been hitting record highs almost every day here in Austin. As a matter of fact, the news said this was the hottest June since before the civil war. Can you believe it? But, I must say, at least we have air conditioning. You poor thing. It is awful sleeping in a hot house. We did it last year when our a/c went out. Ugh!!

Very cute strawberry hat!!

Beth and Shayna said...

What, no Noodles or Einsteins? Oy Vey! I will have to send you some. I am glad it cooled down and you are able to feel more comfortable in the weather. I love the hat too, so cute!!!