Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Surprise Houseguest!

This morning I was calmly sitting at my computer, logging in to my work email, when Luna started going crazy. Not the kind of barking crazy where there is a cat in our backyard...or a squirrel she's spying to catch... No, this was more like an insane - "oh my god there's an axe murderer in the backyard" - kind of yelping and screeching...

So I walk over to the back door and what do I see in our alley?


A giant deer! It's hard to tell from this photo (which I quickly took with my phone!)...but this deer and I would probably see nearly eye to eye. She was incredibly tall. And she heard Luna going crazy so she just calmly stood there and stared back at us for a full 1-2 minutes before she galloped off down the alley. I'm guessing she lives in one of the nearby parks and was out foraging for food. As you can see, everything here is still blocked in by mounds of old, dirty snow which has turned into solid blocks of ice. Anyway - kind of a cool moment...

3 comments:

kitchu said...

I love those moments. I used to see them in my yard when I was married in our old house... and often at the monastery, walking to prayer services. One time I almost ran into one, we were both so quiet we didn't see each other, and both so startled we just stood there staring until finally she (the deer) took off- but I was close enough I could have reached out and touched her!!

Betsy said...

What a lovely surprise!

Betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.