Wednesday, May 05, 2010

FINALLY - (on my 40th birthday no less) - HERE SHE IS!!!!

It is with great excitement and utter joy that I announce the referral of my daughter – and my parents’ first grandchild...

Lia Xiao Hui



I received the match from my agency on April 21, and now that I’ve received my Pre-Approval (PA) notice from China – I can finally share this awesome news! YES – it’s true – after 3.5 years of paperwork and waiting…we finally know who our sweet girl is:

Lia’s Chinese name is Xiao Hui. According to my agency, Xiao means “little or small” and Hui means “intelligent”. Her birthday is November 10, 2008, which means she is currently (almost) 18 months old. She is in the city of Xi’an in the Shaanxi Province of central China. As you can see from her photos, Lia was born with a cleft lip and palate, and her lip was surgically repaired around her 1st birthday in Nov. 2009. She will require some additional surgeries and dental work on her palate as she continues to grow.

But now on to the fun stuff…here is the (translated) description we received:

“She has bright eyes, and is curious about the whole world. She likes this world, so she smiles all the time, will giggle when being teased, and has two dimples. She does not like to eat the single food, she likes to eat the delicious food, such as noodle, bean food, potato mash, and so on. She is extrovert, happy and cute, you will like her. Her caretakers like her very much.”

Our first thought: She’s a “foodie” -- she will fit PERFECTLY into our family!!!

Our adoption agency expects we will travel to China by August, so she will likely be about 21 mos. old when we meet her.

A lot of friends have been asking about gifts and where we are registered. The truth is – what Lia needs most – more than clothes or toys – is to get home to her family where she can receive the love, attention, medical and nutritional care she needs. So in lieu of gifts, I am asking anyone who feels inclined, to please help us with a cash donation to help cover her orphanage fee, travel and medical costs. Even small donations will add up! Please see the “Chip In” widget at the top left of this page for more info – or feel free to email me directly…and please know that we are thankful from the bottom of our hearts for every friend and family member who has supported us along the way during this looooong process to our girl. We are over the moon!

26 comments:

Amy @ TheCottageDiaries.com said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping you were matched too. I got my match the same day as you. And we are with the same agency. So maybe we'll be traveling together. Lia is just gorgeous!!! Congrats again!

Laurie said...

Crying, again, here! I am so, so, so happy for you! Congratulations, my friend! Lia is BEAUTIFUL! :)

Maia said...

WOW! She's gorgeous!! Her eyes are amazing! And you will be glad to have a happy, giggly child. Our has exuded joy from the start and brought so many smiles to our world. Also GREAT news that she is eating lots of solid food!

kitchu said...

BEAMING FOR YOU AND WITH YOU!!!! again. she is a GEM.

leah landis said...

Julie,
My name is Leah and my DH and I brougnt our sweet Joshua home in April of last year. He turned 2 just after we returned. He also has a cleft lip & palate. Although I don't know you (even though I lived in Tacoma WA for 10 years) I can feel your joy and excitedment. Lia is BEAUTIFUL and has sparkling eyes. From one mother to another - yeap this mother's day is for you! - congratulations!

Alaina said...

OMG! Congratulations!!! She is beautiful and I am SO happy for you and Steve. Talk about a wonderful birthday present!

Betsy said...

My soul is happy as I'm sure yours is overflowing with love!!!

Marcy Dunaway said...

I just KNEW it would come today! :-) You know how happy I am for you and steve! Praying for speedy travels for you! oxox

Anonymous said...

Oh, this makes me cry (happy tears). You have been waiting so long for this day and it couldn't have been better timing. She is so beautiful!!! I can't wait to see her in person...so hurry up to Denver will ya!
-Brittany

Janice said...

Congratulations! I saw your post on the Spokane List and just wanted to add our good wishes.
-Janice & Rod Dennis
dd Bailey a. 6/02 Huazhou, Guangdong
ds Ben a. 7/03 Kunshan, Jiangsu
ds Ethan a. 5/05 Guiyang, Guizhou
dd Eamm a. 6/07 Dingyuan, Anhui

Megan in Denver said...

You're adopting?!? ;)

I'm so very happy for you!

Deanna said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful! I know it has been a long wait, but when she's put in your arms you will know that it was soo worth it!

Neeson Family said...

so happy for you both.
Is Lia a Starfish baby? I think so!!

Jenna said...

Finally!!!! Yippee!!

I'm sure you are doing the crazy happy dance all over the place! I know I am, for you!

Can't wait to start reading all of YOUR poop stories!

~Kristen said...

OMG!!!! I am so happy for you and Steve... She is just beautiful!
CONGRATS MOMMA!!!
XOXO

Valerie said...

Yay! So very happy for you. Congratulations and what a beauty she is.

Margaret M said...

Woo Hoo!!!! She is beautiful!!!! I am soooooooo very happy for you. My wee boy has a unilateral cleft lip and palate so if you have any questions, I would be happy to chat with you!!!! A wee one will soon be home! Congratulations!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!! What a cutie!
Donna

More Kids 4 Me said...

Congratulations! My 5 year old son is from Xian! We adopted him in 2007. AND my oldest son is in Xian now volunteering at the Starfish Foster home. :) He will be there until June 25th.

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

I am so proud and honored to be your baby's daddy. : ) I love you Julie, I love you Lia!

Email Marketing Yenta said...

Julie, this is the other Lia's mommy. It's been a long time and I was just casually stalking blogs and came to yours !!! I literally have tears in my eyes for you!!!
What a joy!

My Lia joined our family almost a year ago from Taiwan. She is the grestest gift. As your Lia will be! Happy happy birthday!

Kim said...

OMG Julie! Tears are streaming down my face right now in joy for you! Congrats! I'm so, so happy for you, your family, and your little one. You've waited so long and now, your wish is coming true!

Cheers and much love,
Kim and Alina

Mommy Spice said...

Oh, what happy news!!! I'm so excited for you guys! She is an absolute doll, and I know you can't wait to get her home and just kiss and squeeze her all over. Ugh! August is too long...but when you've been waiting 3 1/2 years...what's a couple more months? Once you get her home, time will go by and the wait you've experienced will diminish in your mind. Again, I am so happy for all of you!

Research-China.Org said...

Congratulations on your Shaanxi referral!! We have a lot of information about that area, including your daughter's newspaper finding ad, which has a photo of her months younger than her referral photos. When you catch a breath, contact us with her basic information and we will let you know what we have available.

Hoping for a speedy trip!!

Brian

Kammy K. said...

Congrats. Is Lia a Starfish baby?
I've followed the Chinese Starfish website for the last year and a half. Matter of fact, this website is what made me change my mind and pursue a special needs adoption. I got a referral March 25 for a little girl in Shanxi with an unrepaired bilateral cleft lip and palate. I too am single.
Congrats again, and best wishes to you and Lia.

Jen said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I check your blog from time to time, and I was so excited to see that you've been matched. Yay!!!!!!!!!!