Friday, May 14, 2010

Preparations are underway...

So what have I been doing for the past few weeks since I was matched with my girl?  Well, besides walking on CLOUD NINE... We were celebrating my birthday, Mother's Day (particularly exciting this year as a "mom-to-be"), completing additional adoption paperwork, and starting preparations for the arrival of sweet baby girl.

Some of Lia's "friends" awaiting her arrival!


Over the past three years, I've collected quite an assortment of baby & toddler clothing (not knowing how old or what size my girl might be), luckily I had been presorting it all into labeled bins for each size range. Now I know I can safely pass on, or give away the 6-12 mos. old clothes. I'm keeping everything 18 mos. and up, as I'm not sure what sizes she will actually be wearing when we go get her this summer.







Today I finally got my care package put together to mail to the orphanage. My agency gave me a list of commonly used labels and terms in Chinese, so with the magic of Photoshop, I was able to put together a baby-friendly photo album with pictures of Lia's new home and family (including grandma, grandpa, auntie, and the dogs!) and label all the photos in English and Chinese, so hopefully, her nannies will be able to show her the album and start preparing her for the transition.  
 
 
 
 
Lia's carseat also arrived. Not only did I find the brand of carseat I wanted (after working at a children's hospital for four years, I was quite certain on the brand and safety rating required to protect my child!) But I was even able to find a cute, "girly" version of it on sale for a great price online - hooray for internet sales!


P.S - To everyone who has contributed to the fundraising efforts thus far...I am overwhelmed by the generosity and feel truly blessed to have so many friends and family members who want to help me bring my girl home this summer - THANK YOU!

6 comments:

Tina said...

Hi Julie,
Congratulations on becoming a Mum to such a sweet little girl.
I bet you can't wait to cuddle her!
I also want to add to hesitate before you donate away all your 6 to 12 months clothes.
My little one was 22 months when I bought her home and well and truly was in size 00-0s (which is Australian for size 6 to 12 months.)
Have fun,

Tina

Betsy said...

Happy times!! Love the care package and great job with the car seat -- it's perfect.

Jenna said...

I agree with Tina... when I brought home my 5 month old daughter she barely fit into 9mo clothes. Plus, like women's clothing sizes differ with brands. I think the sizes are just a guestimate.

Mommy Spice said...

Soooooo exciting!!! Now you are going to have so much fun dressing Lia in all those cute clothes you've been picturing her in for so long.

kitchu said...

so glad you are soaking up all the fun of preparing. i wish so much it had been like this for me. i seriously think i just walked around in a haze of fear! no idea how we pulled everything together (which includes deconstructing/selling a great crib and buying all new furniture for an almost 4 year old!)

kitchu said...

oh and i agree on the clothes. my 4 year old still wears 2T in some brands!! almost nothing in 3T except some shirts. when we first came home, 18-24m on almost all her pants.