Monday, June 28, 2010

FUN-draising!!!

This weekend my family hosted an Adoption Fundraiser/Spaghetti Feed at my old high school (my dad works there and secured the gymnasium and attached kitchen for us!) - We spread the news through Facebook, my parents' church newsletter and word of mouth. We were uncertain how many folks would actually show up for an event on a nice Saturday evening in June, but we ended up with around 50 people and we had a great time!

We got to the gym early on Saturday afternoon to decorate. I also prepared a powerpoint slideshow that documented my adoption journey, which played on a big screen throughout the event. We ran music from Steve's iPod...and my mom - bless her heart - cooked spaghetti - LOTS of it! Along with salad, garlic bread, and cake for dessert.

With my mom (no resemblance there...haha)

We didn't charge for tickets, but instead just let people give whatever they felt they could to help us bring Lia home. We also offered up a few small silent auction items for bidding.

My sister Tracy, my dad, and myself - goofy in the kitchen!

It was so great to see some of my old high school friends - some who I haven't seen in over 20 years - others who I've only reconnected with recently via Facebook:

"Class of '88" girls from left: Shari, Paula, Brietta, myself

With my good friend Rick and his wife Katie

Because I attended parochial schools in the same neighborhood, with the same families for 14 years (Preschool-Grade 12), I also saw some of my past teachers and principals...it was really cool. Kind of like a fundraiser and reunion combined.

My friend Ron, who I went to grade school with!

I'm happy to report that after expenses, we raised over $1,000 to bring our girl home! Between the online donations I've received (see upper left for ChipIn link) - and a few personal checks I've received by mail - we have raised $3,000 so far toward our travel expenses. A HUGE thanks to my family for all the work they put into this event, thanks to Steve for photographing and documenting the entire evening - and finally THANK YOU to everyone who attended - it was so much fun!

Next up? Garage Sale July 10...

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Awesome!

Love your hair, by the way. :)

Unknown said...

We were in Xi'an in March to bring our little girl home. You are going to love being there! Congrats! (Found your blog through the Newton's blog)
Kelly
www.raudenbushfamily.blogspot.com
www.jiayindesigns.com