Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Guangzhou - Day 14 - Consulate Day

Today we went to the US Consulate office in Guangzhou to complete Lia's Visa/Immigration paperwork and to take the "Oath" for her to become an American citizen. All adoptive families from the US are required to come thru Guangzhou to complete this final step in the process. The Consulate office used to be located right next to the White Swan hotel, which was very convenient...now it is located on the other side of the city, so we had to take a tour bus to get there.

The office itself reminded me a bit of any DMV office...a bunch of chairs on one side of the room in the waiting area, and several numbered "windows" on the other side. Basically, we just had to wait for them to call "the family of (child's Chinese name)...which sounds easier than it is, when you have 30 families with small children in the waiting room. The microphones sounded like Peppermint Patty's teacher on Charlie Brown "wha, wha, wha, whaaaah"... Anyway we finally heard what sounded like us and got the papers signed. After every family had been called, the Officer came out and issued the Oath to us as a big group. She acknowledged all the kids who had recent birthdays, the families adopting twins, the family adopting a 13 yr old girl (one week before her 14th b-day, when she would become ineligible for adoption!) and all the single moms who had waited their turns to make it thru the process...I have to admit I got teary-eyed several times during her speech.

There were no phones or cameras allowed at the Consulate, so we don't have any pictures of that, but here are a few photos of Lia from earlier in the morning:






4 comments:

Unknown said...

One step closer to US soil!!!

My email got hacked so I lost my ENTIRE gmail account. I'm sick about it. Set up a new email -- MBSalsbury@gmail.com if you need to reach me!

Can't wait for your homecoming!!!!

Kim said...

Yeah!!! Time to bring that baby home! Congrats on the consulate happenings and how nice of the official even mentioning the single people. Megan is right...one step closer to home, your own bed, and Lia in her very own bedroom.

Cheers,
Kim and Alina

Holly said...

Wow -- your time in GZ is almost done. Did you get to Number Nine Shopping Street? The underground pearl mall is not to be missed. And the CD store above the Pizza Hut. I know all the little shops on the island have moved around. I wonder where Sherry's is these days? I long to go in there and hang out with Daisy. She taught me Mandarin and I taught her Japanese. LOL! Did you get a chop and a scroll for Lia? I must be needing more shopping details. LOL! Enjoy these last couple of days. Kiss your daughter for me. I love saying that! XXXOOO -Holly

Beth and Shayna said...

Yippee for the Oath! You have one stylun' looking girly on your hands. Can't believe it is time to come home, what a journey for you all!