Sunday, October 03, 2010

A Plea for Jack - October Begins

Shortly after we were matched with Lia, we found out (through an amazing red thread which I can relate in a different post) that Lia was living at the Starfish Foster Home in Xi'an, where she was known as "Sophia". Due to confidentiality rules with my agency, I was unable to share this wonderful news with my readers here until we had Lia in our arms. But now that she is home, I definitely want to spread the great news about Starfish far and wide - they need our support! This is a non-profit organization that is literally changing children's lives one by one. But my post about Starfish is for another day...today I want to talk about Jack.

Jack was one of Lia's best friends at Starfish. Jack is an (almost) 3 yr old little boy who was born with Spina Bifida, and is paralyzed from the waist down - but Jack does not let that stop him from being an amazing, generous, sweet little soul. He gets around wonderfully in a little wheelchair that was donated to Starfish specifically for him. When Lia left Starfish to be brought to us, Jack continued to save part of his food for her, in case she might come back hungry...THAT is the kind of kid Jack is. Every day I pray for the children at Starfish, but I especially pray for Jack. I so want this sweet boy's family to find him. He has been on the China "shared list" for over a year now... I'm sure the words "spina bifida" are scaring families away, but if they could see Jack and get to know him, see how well he gets around and what an amazing kid he is, I know families would be fighting over who gets to make him their son! Jack has seen many of his friends come and go from Starfish, yet he always remains. Now he is one of the oldest kids there. Do YOU know someone who could be Jack's forever family? Some of the families who have adopted children from Starfish are working together to raise awareness and offset some of Jack's adoption fees. See the left sidebar of this blog, or click HERE to learn more about Jack and how you can help!

Meanwhile, here are some Lia pics from this week:

Holding court with all her ladybug toys

Trying on her ladybug costume for the first time - she loves it!

Even a ladybug princess needs some down time...

Gotta love those beautiful long eyelashes!

Happy Harvest Everybody!

3 comments:

kitchu said...

well, Jack just stole MY heart :) he sounds just like my E. i will do what i can and can advocate as a parent with a child who has the same condition! she doesn't let her lack of leg movement hinder her AT all. gets in and out of the tub by herself, dresses herself, climbs stairs, etc.

strong arms, big heart, best laugh. my girl.

Jet said...

Thanks for helping Julie!!

Taylor Williams said...

Jack is such a sweet boy. I pray he finds a family soon. He loved your Lia. He stole my heart while I was there