Sunday, May 08, 2011

Happy Birthday, Happy Mother's Day, and Get Well Soon...

Wow...busy week! Today is Mother's Day. My first "official" one. Last year I had been matched with Lia, but had not yet traveled to get her, so it was bittersweet. The four years prior to that were even more depressing as I waited...and waited...and waited...for a match. There is a lot of "hype" around Mother's Day, and I've received a lot of congratulatory messages from friends and family which is lovely, but the fact of the matter is while I am so happy Lia is in my life and I feel so blessed to have her call me mama...I can't help but think of her birthmother and the terrible decision she had to make, that ultimately led me to my daughter. I pray that somehow she is at peace with her decision and that her heart somehow "knows" that her sweet baby girl is in good hands and receiving the care she could not provide for her.

Speaking of which, thank you to everyone who held us in your thoughts and prayers this week as Lia underwent palate surgery #2. We arrived at the hospital at 6:30 on Wednesday morning, and she was rolled back to surgery just before 9 am (I cried, but she didn't thanks to the drugs they gave her beforehand). Around 11:15 we got the news that she was out of surgery and in the recovery room. Unlike last time, she was still asleep for a good hour in the recovery room...we hoped this was due to the change in her not getting morphine, which seemed to have caused a lot of extra anxiety (to put it mildly) last time. Unfortunately, she still had a very rough time coming back out of the anesthesia. Our poor girl screamed and fought everyone - us, the nurses, and pretty much the entire world for about 2 hours. Around 2 pm she finally started calming down. There was a lot more blood this time too. Not to be graphic, but rather than the blood running down the back of her throat like it did last time, this time more of the surgery was up at the front of her mouth, just behind her teeth, therefore a lot more blood ran out of her mouth - for hours. It was pretty traumatic for her and for us.We spent the night and all day Thursday (my birthday) at the hospital as well. She slept most of Thursday with one or the other of us holding her...

Lucky for us, her surgeon happened to be the on-call ENT at the hospital that night, so he popped in to check on her around 9 pm and decided she was in good enough shape to go home. So after signing all the release papers and a visit to the 24 hr pharmacy across town, we got home around midnight.

Since being home she has been perking up a bit more each day. She's still not eating much and can only eat very soft or pureed foods for the next couple of weeks. She's on several meds, so we did have one Mother's Day vomiting episode this morning (lucky for me she was sitting on daddy's lap at the time!) But other than that, she's been fairly chipper, and wearing her arm restraints without too much fuss. We appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers as she continues to heal. Our hope is that this surgery "takes" and that we won't have to go back again for several years.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Julie! I feel for you, Steve and Lia. It is such a helpless feeling when your baby is hurting. But I'm so glad to hear that you guys are home and will cross my fingers that this surgery will hold. Lia has such a kind and gentle spirit. I'm sure she will bounce back quickly. If you need anything, give us ring.

stacy said...

Congrats on your first "official" mama's day! I posted similar feelings about Cadence's birthmother on her birthday last week.... I didn't anticipate such mixed emotions. I hope she recovers quickly from her surgery and feels better soon!

tingting said...

happy the first Mother's day!!and hope Lia get well soon.

kitchu said...

oh she is SO brave. glad the worst of it is over, i can't even imagine how hard it was for the 3 of you. a belated happy mother's day and happy birthday (as happy as it could be, celebrate late!)...

xoxo to your little one!

Betsy said...

Wow, our best to you during the long recovery. I seem to think "oh her surgery is over and great news that it went well" but I forget everything that comes after. Wishing you all the best for a successful, pain-free-as-possible healing process. The first picture of Lia sleeping is awesome. Wow, it made me smile and get teary eyed too. Beautiful! Hugs to you three!!