Saturday, May 05, 2007

Reflections on Aging...


Yes, it's true - as these birthday candles indicate, it is my birthday today and I am turning 3! (okay, so I am turning 3+! But that's Ok too...

After the requisite pre-Cinco de Mayo Mexican dinner last night, I got up early this morning and went to my aqua class. I love my aqua class because I am the youngest person (by about 25 years!) in the class. There is no judgement, no competition - just a spunky bunch of older ladies who are "regulars" and always welcome me back with open arms, even when I've skipped class for weeks (if not months!) at a time. Thru my divorce, my single-dom and dating adventures, from moving to my new townhouse, and now thru my adventures in adoption, the ladies at the Montclair Rec Center are always there and happy to see me.

When I was a little girl I was certain I would get married at 22 and have babies by 25. Live in a house with a white picket fence with my doting husband. What I didn't count on was the demands of a fulltime career, not getting married until 28 and subsequently, a marriage gone awry. Now here I find myself, in my upper 30s, starting fresh again, with new dreams, many lessons learned, and a bit more perspective. Two years ago, the concept of an unknown future was scary and debilitating. Today, I welcome and look forward to it. I don't know what the next three years will bring - but I am excited about it. There is no doubt there will be hard times, painful stretches, and experiences which I cannot now even fathom - but I am up for it!

Throw at me what you will Universe - I am ready - BRING IT ON!

15 comments:

Jeff and Valerie said...

Happy Birthday! I hope that your day is full of fun.

Polar Bear said...

Happy Birthday!

Your post is great. Your reflection and then prediction for the future was so well said. Thanks for sharing that. I bet the next few years are going to be amazing!

I hope you have a wonderful birthday weekend.

~Kristen said...

Have a Wonderful Birthday Julie!!!!

Cheer's to the next AMAZING part of your life!!!

Laurie said...

Julie,

Happy Birthday!! Here's to all the "new dreams" headed your way...you really do have a great attitude. You are going to be a great mom to Lia!

Laurie

K. said...

Happy birthday! I wish you a year ahead filled with wonderful things!

xo
Kerrie

Jewels of My Heart said...

Happy Birthday! The good news is that the older we get the better we become.
Your daughter is the best and most important dream of all.
God's Speed

C's Mom said...

Happy Birthday.

I had 'dreamed' a different life for myself too. I learned to adjust my dreams and my life is fantastic now :0)

I wish you the same...fantastic things.

Unknown said...

Happy bday! Its amazing what our stories are that brought us all to this place

redmaryjanes said...

Happy Birthday Julie! The future holds a daughter!

Beth and Shayna said...

Happy Birthday sweetie! I hope you had a great day. You are in a fabulous place in life and each year you grow wiser, Lia is counting on you.

I love the new look of the blog! I was thinking I was looking at the wrong blog, but then I saw your sweet puppy and your cute picture, of course!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sweetie!

Lovin the new look on your blog!

Happy Sunday (Day 2 of Julie Birthday week continues...)

XOXOX

Steve & Killer

Kim said...

Happy birthday Julie!!! LOVE the new blog!!

Cheers,
Kim Y
LID 3/29/07 for Megan Jean

Lisa and Tate said...

Happy (Belated) Birthday!!! Each year just keeps getting better!!!! Hang in there.

Lisa

kitchu said...

Happy belated girlfriend! And I love my squish, just got it today, thank you so much!
And your blog looks fantastic!!

Maia said...

Happy Birthday Julie!!!!
And congrats on being a month closer to mommyhood! I am one of those whose life did not proceed as I always imagined it,except it was the other way round..I thought I'd always be a nomad, never settle down, never have kids. And here I am with a husband I adore, a home I dote on and a daughter on the way....just goes to show, there's no predicting!Life is full of surprises, and the surprises can be the best part!!
OOXX - Maia