Sunday, July 22, 2007

Visit from an Old Friend...

I got a special treat a couple weeks ago when one of my oldest, dearest friends - Renee - was in Denver for her oldest daughter's softball tournament.

I met Renee when I was about 3 yrs old. We attended preschool through 12th grade together. When I first met her (in preschool) we lived only a couple of blocks away from one another. Renee was there for my first sleepover, my confirmation, my first babysitting job, my graduation, my first concert (Madonna Like A Virgin Tour 1985!), my prom, and my wedding. When we were young we played house, and school, and in the summer ran thru sprinklers and played "slip'n'slide" on the lawn. In Junior High we hit the roller rink, lip sync'd to the "Grease" soundtrack, rocked out to Def Leppard and prank-called the boys we liked, dreaming of driving our own cars one day... then came high school - where we loved Duran Duran and Wham! spent countless hours recording music off the radio with our "boomboxes", going to teen dance clubs, driving our moms' cars and generally acting like reckless teenage girls do...like all angsty, teenage girls, we had our falling outs, and many emotional ups and downs in our relationship, but in the end we are still the little girls who met at preschool in 1974.

It was so fun to catch up with her and talk with her daughters. Her daughter actually traveled to China last December with her softball team and visited an orphange while she was there and stayed at the White Swan! It was like no time had passed at all - much less 30 years! I found the following photo (our class photo from preschool - or a police lineup from 1974 - I wonder what Renee was so serious about???) LOL.

6 comments:

Beth and Shayna said...

Oh my gosh, what a fun time for you and your girlfriend. I had a friend like that, we met in preschool, friends for ages, roomies in college even, but recently went our separate ways. You are so blessed to still have each other. I love the 'line up' picture too! And how cool her daughter stayed at the White Swan--too cool!

Anonymous said...

I think that's SOOOO great you're in touch like that and got to spend some time together in Denver! Can I just tell you how ADORABLE your pic is from pre-school???! SO CUTE!! : ) Fun to read about all your history together...cracks me UP!

K. said...

That sounds like so much fun! How great it is to share the important things in your life with such a good friend.

PS You are both ADORABLE- then and now!

Auntie Tracy said...

Wow! I can't believe you found your old preschool photo! Maybe Renee was so serious because Jenny and I were taking too much attention away from the "big sisters". Love the picture from a few weeks ago! You both look great!!!

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

I Love the picture of you with the "I didn't do it" smile on your face... Too Cute! It was a great night, texas roadhouse and hot babes! Who'd a thunk I could be so lucky!

S

Laurie said...

How fun is that! Love the "little girl" picture. I just got a "squish" from my oldest friend...we've bee friends since we were five, and the wish pretty much outlined for Hannah a good bit of our antics (including one that I am already working on an explanation!). It is my favorite so far - made me laugh and cry! But there really is something irreplaceable about friends who have known you "forever."

Laurie