Monday, September 10, 2007

It's True...

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

It's true - today makes 5 months logged in for Lia!

Other random events of the weekend...after our Friday night tradition of Mexican food, Steve and I decided to head across the street to one of the larger Asian markets in the area. We were checking out the various items when I saw a woman with blond hair (believe me, she stood out in the crowd!) and we locked eyes. Omigod, it was my old hairdresser. Guys may not understand the weirdness that comes along with this story - but all you gals know - when you find a hairdresser you like, who can do your cut and color like no other - it is like finding a needle in a haystack. You hold onto that person, follow them if they change salons, gossip with them every couple of months during your appointment, etc.

So here's the backstory to my situation... I had been going to this same hairstylist for three years. I followed her to two different salons, drove all the way across town to have her do my highlights, etc. Last November, after I had applied to CCAI for a singles spot, (but was waiting to hear if I would be accepted), I mentioned to her that I had applied to adopt a baby from China - expecting her to be excited for me. Instead, she said "WHY? Why do you want an orphan baby? Have a baby of your own. Find a nice guy and get pregnant. You don't want no Chinese baby. You want your OWN baby!" (she is Eastern European and sometimes her English comes out broken...) I believe I mumbled something about "she WILL be my own baby" and picked up a magazine to read and blew her off. Needless to say, that was my last appointment with her. She's called my voicemail dozens of times, asking about why she hasn't seen me lately. I never took her calls. I moved on to a new hairstylist (one that actually IS excited for me). Plus, I live in Denver, it's a big city, so the chances of ever seeing her ever again were slim.

So imagine my surprise (and the irony) of running into her - at the Asian market of all places - on Friday night? We were literally the only two caucasion women there. We locked eyes for a few seconds - just long enough for me to register who she was and why she was staring at me. My heart started racing. She opened her mouth to speak to me...and I turned my head, and walked away talking to Steve as if I hadn't seen her. For a second, I had that 6th grade "Mean Girls" feeling. That I was giving her the cold shoulder and she seriously had no idea why. But then I remembered how adamant she was about trying to talk me out of adoption dream. Should I have engaged in fake "nice talk" with her - or was it appropriate to blow her off and go hide in the back corner of the store until she left? I probably should've been the bigger person and let go of my anger towards her and been polite. But to be honest, I just didn't feel like it.

In other news, I updated Lia's Squishes site with about 40 more entries - I'm past the 100th squish mark now, which means I will be able to have a secondary, smaller blanket or throw made as well. They are all so very cool. Thanks to everyone who has contributed! I've gotten some other really cute stuff the past couple of weeks and will update with more photos later in the week.

6 comments:

C's Mom said...

Hooray to 5 down!

...and I'm all about surrounding yourself with people who support your dreams.

~Kristen said...

Happy 5 Months!!

I would have done the same thing. No need to spend your time trying to make someone understand your dream. If she couldn't be supportive, her loss!
But I know how that goes... my hair dresser probably knows more about me than some of my family members!!! And she is extremely happy for me and eager to learn about it, so it makes those 3 hours spent with her enjoyable!!

Email Marketing Yenta said...

Happy five! Why waste all that energy. Let it go. I would have done the exact same thing. My guess is she would not have even remembered saying it which would have aggravated you all the more. So onward my other Lia's mum!

kitchu said...

Happy 5 Julie... I am thinking with LID's so close there is a good chance we'll be heading to China together... warms my heart.

Sorry your old hairdresser doesn't "get it"- I'd hate to judge her for her lack of understanding, & wish it had turned out differently and that she'd been less thoughtless, but maybe it's a cultural thing? I think had I been in your place, I might have initially tried to figure out what made her make such comments and let her know that they were really hurtful... but maybe even then it wouldn't have made much difference. ?

Kim said...

Happy 5 Julie!!! We are inching our way to our daughters! One more down!

Cheers,
Kim
LID 3/29/07 for Megan Jean

Ladybug Kreations
lbkreaiont.blogspot.com

Jeff and Valerie said...

I would have done the same thing!