Saturday, August 30, 2008

Haba-- Who?

I attended a total 14 years of parochial school as a kid. No joke. (preschool-thru Grade 12). Not to mention at least one session of vacation bible school every summer. Believe me, by the time I turned 18, I was completely over the whole "religion thing". But in my 30s, I've gained back more of an appreciation for spirituality and prayer. I still don't attend services every Sunday, but I do find solace in knowing there is an energy bigger than my one human body (and brain!) at work in the universe.

Back in my school days, we were required to learn and recite all the books of the Old Testament, New Testament, and the entire catechism by memory. Lucky for me, I was good with words and memory assignments, so I go to the point I could rattle off books of the Bible (and still can today) at record speed (a skill that you never know when it might come in handy! LOL)

One thing I noticed over my many years of religion classes, was that there are a LOT of books in the Bible that don't get much "play". That whole "Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi" group at the end of the Old Testament...we don't hear from those guys much.

So recently - when I came across this Bible verse from Habakkuk (on another China adoption blog) - I was pleasantly surprised that Habakkuk actually said something that spoke to me. Especially in terms of the LONG wait for my child - but it could really apply to so many areas in life where we are impatient for the answers we are seeking:


"But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.” Habakkuk 2:3


Can I hear an "Amen"? - (who knew Habakkuk was such a wise soul?)

9 comments:

Ray and Kathy said...

Make that a resounding AMEN !

kitchu said...

Yep. That's a good one. An amen from me!

Betsy said...

I grew up as a Southern Baptist and I hardly recognize those books (should't admit that :-)) I may have to give ole Habakkuk another visit. Thanks again for another interesting posting!

OH MY #6 said...

A BIG, HUGE, GIANT, AMEN!

Lea
xo

Unknown said...

I had to learn the catechism as well. Im finding all kinds of cool verses lately.

THat ones awesome

Tracy Dart said...

I love that you said Habakkuk doesn't get much "play"! Too funny! Love the verse though, and it definitely is fitting.
:)

Unknown said...

I totally understand the impatience of the wait. Everyone always told me that when I got my child the wait would seem like nothing. Though they were right, it still did not make it any easier. It was verses in scripture and prayer/pondering that got me through it too. Good luck!!!

The Daley Family

redmaryjanes said...

That is a very good verse and something I need to hear every day. I went to Christian Schools too, but we didn't have to memorize entire books of the Bible. Wow, that is amazing.

Christi and Abbey said...

very cool!