Sunday, September 07, 2008

New Glasses & The Wedding...

So I finally sucked it up and got a new pair of glasses. I've been wearing contacts and glasses fulltime since 1994. Most days, I wear contact lenses, but I wear the "daily wear" kind, which can get kind of expensive since you throw them out at the end of the day and they end up running about $1/day. So I've been trying more and more to wear my glasses 2-3x/week to make my supply of contacts last longer. I've been lucky in that prescription hasn't changed in the last eight years, so I just kept the same pair of glasses all that time...until finally in July, they gave up the ghost and the ear piece broke - in an "unfixable" location. Thankfully, I have good vision insurance thru my current job, so when all was said and done, I only paid $75 out-of-pocket for my new ones. I think they are cute - more rectagular than my former ones, which were more of a cat-eye shape:


Yesterday, my sister Tracy and I headed south to Tacoma for a wedding. Our friend, Rick was getting married. This was the first opportunity I've had to see many of the old friends I ran with back in high school and college - since I moved back to Seattle last spring. Let me tell you, I was more than a little nervous. In many ways, it was like the high school reunion I never had (this year would've been my 20th, but since I went to small paraochial high school, we didn't have a reunion...) And honestly, I didn't run around much with people from my own high school back in the day. My graduating class only had 39 students - 13 guys and 26 girls...most of whom had all gone to school together since kindergarten. Therefore, I was way more interested in hanging out with kids from the neighboring public high school.

So my friend Rick was getting married yesterday. To put some perspective on this, let me tell you that I met Rick on a church youth group trip to the waterpark in 8th grade! He came along with one of his friends who was in my class at the time. In high school we reconnected and my girlfriends and I started hanging out with him and his guy friends quite a bit. We remained a fairly tightknit group for years until folks started going their seperate ways as people do in their 20s. Everyone else started getting married (and later some got divorced) and through it all Rick remained the single guy. In fact even as recently as 2005, following my own divorce, I was chatting with Rick and he proclaimed himself as "forever single". At the time I was contemplating whether to move ahead with applying to adopt from China as a single...and Rick thought it was great - he even said that if I moved back to Seattle with my daughter, he would be my "manny" (male nanny). :)


Well guess who met a great girl last year and got hitched this weekend? Good ole Rick. At the rate adoption referrals are moving, he and his new wife Katie could very well have one or two kids by the time I bring my munchkin home. Maybe I will have to be Rick's nanny. :) The wedding was very fun. Tracy and I had a chance to catch up with all the old gang, meet their wives and girlfriends and in many ways, it just all felt comfortable like old times. Here's a pic of me catching up with my old friend Sam who is now the dad of three precious little boys:


Some days it is really fun to be back "home".

5 comments:

Betsy said...

YAY! Sounds like the experience was far better than you had imagined. I love the "manny" part of the story - that's too funny. It's good to be home... but being away for a while made the reunion that much more meaningful!

Betsy said...

Can't believe I forgot to comment on the awesome glasses! Love them -- really I do. They look great on you.

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

Love the glasses, loving you more...

XoXoXoX

Beaches - I can hear the beaches calling us now...

Word Up!

Tracy Dart said...

I love the picture of you and Sam! Super Cute! DART Sandwich...LOL!

Beth and Shayna said...

Love the new glasses and the pics from the wedding! You look great!