Sunday, September 28, 2008

Catching up from the past week

Not a lot of exciting news to report this week. I'm work a lot and trying hard not to let it take over my life right now. Steve and I took a brief trip over to Spokane this weekend. It's a quick, 40-minute flight from Seattle. We spent one night over there and then came back to Seattle last night. With my past work experience in government affairs, I was intrigued to see Republican candidate for Governor of Washington, Dino Rossi checking in for our flight on Friday night. I was REALLY hoping he would get seated next to me so I could ask him some questions, but alas, he was seated in First Class (shocker!) Darn - I could've had some fun with that...

So anyway - a few pix from Spokane - first, a VERY cool piece of art/playground equipment they have installed at their downtown's Riverfront Park (the handle of the wagon is a slide - cool!):


We had lunch at the resort on Lake Coeur D'Alene (about 30 miles east of Spokane in Idaho). It was a beautiful 75 degree autumn day, and the lake was sparkling. On the way back into Washington, we checked out the Liberty Lake area, and saw these three deer hanging out in someone's front lawn, under their apple tree munching on fallen apples. Almost a cliche eastern Washington photo - but so beautiful!


...and back to LAST weekend's trip to the coast. I posted all the gorgeous sunset and beach photos last week. So here are some of the silly ones I also took along the way. First of all, I was absolutely giddy to see this picture collage at the mall in Aberdeen. Apparently, Tom Cruise visited Aberdeen in May of 2006 for the opening of one of the Mission Impossible movies. Unsure what the connection was, but they STILL have an entire wall dedicated to the occasion. LOL - I love stuff like this:

Clearly, it was (and still is) one of the biggest things to happen in Aberdeen in recent years...probably since Nirvana went big in the 90s (Kurt Cobain was from Aberdeen)...


We also found it funny that a Mexican restaurant in Aberdeen was willing to SELL their handmade, paper drink menus to any willing patron for the super value price of $5.00:



One last thing - for those of you who remember, my dad had a heart attack back in January of this year...today he walked in a 5k breast cancer event at Alki Beach, supporting my sister, Tracy. Check out Tracy's blog for more info and photos - GO DAD!

6 comments:

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

Soooooooooooo, tell them - you bought the menu, we've framed it, and it's going on the wall! lol Can we go back to the beach yet? Can we move to the beach yet? The beach loves us all, and wants us to move closer to give it the attention and love it deserves... Great pics sweety, love the Radio Flyer - also my nickname... lol

Kristy said...

Good job to your Dad!!!!! How great is that!!!! That wagon is just one of the coolest playground toys I have ever seen. have a great Friday!

redmaryjanes said...

Wow, Tom Cruise day and 5 dollar menu...small town America. You have to love it. We live in a small town and I wouldn't trade it.
Looks like you guys had a great time!

Jenna said...

Ok, you went to the beach and stopped at the Aberdeen Mall? Didn't the empty parking lot tip you off to the total depression inside? I knew there was a reason to pump up the visitors site! I've heard rumors that it will be gone by next fall.

A guy won a contest where he got to see movie with Tom and Katie. The fact that it's still on the wall, should have been an even bigger tip off. Apparently, Aberdeen contains a host of "lucky" soles - they've also hosted Metallica and others for contest winners.

If you're looking for a better side stop stop, great food and totally romantic place to stay - drop me a line.

Julie and Steve said...

LOL. Yes, we didn't plan very well...we were at the beach four four days, and we decided one night to drive into Aberdeen to see a movie - at the mall. A Thursday night - to be exact, and yes, there were exactly six cars in the mall parking lot. You're right...the mall looks as if it's about to close. It was sad, and somewhat depressing. But I did LOVE the Tom Cruise wall. Everyone seemed to happy in the pictures. :)

On a happier note - the beach at Westport was PERFECT. Quiet, solitude, and untouched by tourists. It was awesome!

Margaret M said...

Glad you had a good weekend! How wonderful for your Dad. I loved your sister's blog. The survivor's spirit.....so amazing!