Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend - Lia's Room

For those folks who had planned on taking their boat out to a lake, or camping, or having a nice backyard BBQ this weekend, the weather here in the inland northwest  - sadly - did not cooperate.  As I write this, it is raining BUCKETS (buckets I tell you!!!) - and it's been this way for several days. Temps in the 50s and 60s, and rain showers on and off. Not much of a "kickoff to summer" in these parts. So far we've only seen a handful of days with temps in the 70s and even hit 80 so far (once or twice). But those of us who live up here realize that "summer" never really starts until after July 4th anyway. Onward and upward...

Nevertheless, for us this weekend was all about indoor projects, so the weather really didn't matter. It was finally, (FINALLY!) time to work on Lia's room! To those who are newly following along on my journey, I have moved a total of five times since I started the adoption process in 2006. FIVE. TIMES. After the first two moves, I stopped unpacking all the cute, little girl items I was collecting, and instead packed everything away in rubbermaid containers, labeled and sorted by age and type of item. Not knowing what age Lia would be when she came home, I gladly accepted hand-me-downs (in various sizes) from friends, but never purchased any furniture or a crib/bed for her room, figuring I would handle all that once I knew more about her. So now that I know she will be almost 2 years old when she comes home later this summer, it was time to get to work!  There are still some finishing touches to come...but here are some of the highlights from what we accomplished this weekend:








Her bed is a very cool contraption from IKEA called the "Kura" bed. It can be set up as a bunk bed, a loft bed, or as a regular twin bed, just depending on how you flip it (upside down or right side up) and attach the bed rails. As you can see, we are starting it out in the "loft bed" position, but without the loft mattress actually in place, instead placing the mattress directly on the floor (so she can't fall out). As she gets bigger, we can flip it over and make it a twin bed, or install the railings for the upper bunk and turn the ladder out away from the wall. The pediatrician I spoke with at the adoption clinic mentioned that - at her age - the type of bed (crib, toddler bed, or twin mattress on the floor) didn't matter as much as creating a "cozy nook" for the child to help them feel safe and secure, as well as the ability for a parent to snuggle with them or sleep next to them if necessary - which should work well with this setup. We may end up co-sleeping for awhile as she adjusts to her new surroundings, but I wanted her room to be an inviting place to play and imagine...for both of us!

9 comments:

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

I LOVE this room! Everything about it is magical and I think you did an amazing job! Kudos to Julie!!!

Michal said...

What a great room!
I JUST found your blog. I am Michal and my husband, Leslie and I are waiting to get our TA so we can go get our son.
He will be almost 2 when we get him, he is cleft affected and we have named him Liam.
I think that it's pretty cool that we are so very similar in our places in life.
Your Lia is a beautiful little girl and this room is just right for her. I LOVE that bed and now I am wondering how to get to my nearest Ikea (it's 3 hrs away) and back home with that awesome bed!!!

Good luck on getting your TA fast and furious. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Amy @ TheCottageDiaries.com said...

So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are making a lot more progress than me. So far the only thing I've done is bought a crib. That's literally the only thing in Sophie's room right now. LOL! I really like the bed you chose. Sophie will be around 18 months when I bring her home and most likely I will cosleep, so I bought a crib but just bought a really cheap one. I figure she won't use it for long and when she stops co-sleeping, I'll get a really nice big girl bed for her. I'll have to keep this one in mind!

Jenna said...

super cute! I may have to get a Kura bed for the cuddler... he's almost old enough for a big boy bed! (plus, attempting to crawl out of his crib!)

kitchu said...

LOVE that bed!! and i'm glad you have plans to follow Lia's lead on sleeping. ellis is still in a toddler bed in our room, next to our bed! sometime this summer we hope to transition her into her room, though part of ME now wants her to stay with us!!

Mommy Spice said...

Yay! Her room looks great. I remember how hard we worked on Spicy Girl's room. I remember the first time I played on the floor of the room with her. Ahhh, sweet memories. It goes too fast.

Kristy said...

That room is precious!! And that sun light ....WOW!!! Beautiful!!!

Love and blessings, Kristy

Jen said...

So cute! Looks like you had a lot of fun doing it. She's going to love it, I'm sure!

Meghan said...

Garrett has this bed, too. Our Lia loved her crib, but we got her into a bed this fall. She has a bunk bed, but sleeps on the bottom and has a side rail- I agree with needing a "cozy nook." I can't wait to see your Lia in her new room!