Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Hooray...We Made It!


After two very long days of driving...(14 hrs/day) - we finally made it into Seattle around 10 pm on Friday night. To our surprise, it was SNOWING when we got here (ummmm...thought we were leaving March snow behind in Denver!) Very odd. We ended up having to take the "long way" across Oregon (thru Portland) and up thru Washington to avoid Snoqualmie Pass, which was requiring chains or traction tires...

Saturday morning the movers showed up with our stuff (well, most of it...more on that later...)
So we have spent the last two days getting cable/DSL/phone/gas/electric/trash and everything else set up - as well as bank accounts and other basics. Yesterday I got most of the kitchen put together (now I can grocery shop!) Steve got most of his office set up as well. Today I need to focus on getting my clothes put away and the bathrooms set up. I start my new job tomorrow, so I need to figure out what I am going to wear.

In general, the movers did a good job - as good as can be expected anyway. The price for the move ended up being more than we were quoted or expected. Then the movers got tired by the end of the unloading process on Saturday - dumping one of our sofa cushions into a muddy ditch.

And now Steve cannot find one box that included his fax machine and computer speakers (which are very important since he works in radio/music). The drawer pulls were torn off my nightstand and the nightstand itself received a big scratch across the top.

But Steve's '68 Camaro made it on the back of the truck without any damage...and is now safely parked in the garage, so we are happy about that!










The dogs were stressed throughout the drive...not really sure what was going on. But now that they have seen the backyard, they are very happy puppies! Yesterday Luna loved sitting out on the back porch in the sun (yes, Seattle DOES occasionally see sun!)



12 comments:

Megan in Denver said...

Whoa..having moved WAY too many times in my life -- that is A LOT OF DAMAGE! I hope you are filing a claim with them. They owe you some money back. :) The consumer advocate in me is coming out!

Glad you made it!

Unknown said...

bless you but I am glad you guys made it. I dont comment a lot but i do read!

~Kristen said...

I agree with Megan... As much as I move, and thats alot!.. I have never had damage like that... so sorry to hear that things were ruined and lost. That really stinks.

I can't wait to hear about your new job and how your first day went..

WELCOME HOME!!!

C's Mom said...

Woohoo! Welcome home despite the mover mishaps. It has to be such a relief to have it behind you!

Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME!!!! I need to come out and see the digs and dogs!! HAHA.
Glad you're all here safe and sound...bummer about all the damage!

kitchu said...

Glad you guys made is safely! I would be so mad about the damage that was done to your stuff, that just is not acceptable in my book! Hope Steve finds his stuff soon too :O)

Jenna said...

Glad you made it safely, even if all your stuff didn't. I guess all those horror stories on the news about moving companies are true!

The weather is looking good today! I hope you're out enjoying it!

Laurie said...

Yay! Glad to see you made it! Sorry about the damage to your stuff...that always stinks!

Deanna said...

Yay! Glad to hear you made it safe.
Hope your first days on the new job go well!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth and Shayna said...

I am so glad you all made it safe and sound, except for the poor sofa cushion.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I want that car... no... I really NEED that car... I saw one of those for the first time about 3 years ago (I am an Aussie and you don't have these over there) and feel in love with it... a '68 SS Camero that was powder blue and white strips... Mike said if I can get about $10,000 together I could buy it... hahaha... still working on that money... will hold him to it...