Saturday, January 10, 2009

21 Months & Home Alone


Steve has been on a business trip in Florida since Thursday. You can't get much further from Spokane than Miami - in the contiguous U.S. at least... Poor Killer (our Yorkie) has had a hard time adjusting to Steve going back to work fulltime, and now with him out of town, he is not happy. For the past three years, Steve had been working from home, and therefore Killer rarely was without Steve for more than a few hours at a time. The poor little guy has some serious seperation anxiety going on. He shakes like a leaf! Earlier in the week he was nervous. It started last weekend when we took down the Xmas tree and moved the furniture around. Our poor dogs have been moved SO much over the past few years... everytime they see us packing up boxes and moving furniture they get nervous. Then when Steve went back to work on Monday, Killer just stopped eating and would shake...I worried he was sick! I think he just knew that the suitcase was out and could sense that Steve was going somewhere. We took him to the vet on Wednesday. Killer is 10 yrs old, but the vet said his heart sounds great - and his spine and joints seemed to check out fine...other than some tooth decay, he is in good shape. The vet agreed it probably is just anxiety around the new schedule. So I've been trying to give Killer some extra love this weekend:



Luna also keeps going to the back door and looking for Steve. It's quite cute. I keep assuring them he will be home in "two minutes" (our code word for "soon"). Meanwhile, I feel like chopped liver because neither one could care less about me being here - LOL. Tomorrow is Luna's 6th birthday. Hard to believe it's already been six years since I brought that 2 lb black ball of fur home. :)



It's quite weird to be here by myself. On my way home from dropping Steve at the airport on Thursday, I realized it was only the second time I had driven in this town! I moved here the day after Thanksgiving, and Steve already knew his way around, so I let him do the driving for the first couple of weeks so I could learn landmarks and directions... Then our huge snowstorm hit, and hit, and hit...and I don't care for driving in more than a foot of snow. So fearless Steve kept driving us where ever we needed to go. Thankfully this weekend, things warmed up into the 30s and 40s and the snow started melting.


So since Steve's been gone, I also realized that I know NO ONE here in Spokane. I have no co-workers, no friends, and no relatives here. I met our landlord once. I have met Steve's boss and his wife once. I've met our petsitter, and now our vet...once each. Wow. Luckily, I'm not a person who needs to be surrounded by people. I'm a pretty independent soul. So what have I been doing for three days? Let's see - lots of exciting things: went shopping for socks and underwear; scrubbed the bathtub and hung a new shower curtain; downloaded cheesy ringtones to my cellphone; watched a Tivo'd "marathon" of House Hunters episodes; unpacked and organized my closet; enjoyed some "boy talk" with my friend Megan; changed the radio away from Steve's station (ssshhhh...don't tell) to the teenybopper station and "danced it out" to the sounds of Pussycat Dolls, Miley Cyrus, Brittany, and Katy Perry. Whew! Let me tell you, it's been EXCITING around here...LOL. I'll definitely be ready to pick Steve up at the airport tomorrow night!
...last but not least...today is 21 months wishing for Lia...


5 comments:

~Kristen said...

Keep on dancing.... I spend much of my alone time with the radio blaring, dancing around the house!!! The animals will settle after awhile, it will take some time to adjust. Get out and explore... and enjoy...

Unknown said...

thanks for updating us..Look at those sweet faces..

Enjoy life!

Kristy said...

Happy 21st LIDversary!!! I am sorry that you are alone. But you have that precious puppy to love on you!!!! Stay warm.

Love, Kristy

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

Hey Baby! It's goooood to be home with my babies! XOXOXO M I S S E D you MUCH!

XOXOXXO

Beth and Shayna said...

Poor Luna and Killer. You are not chopped liver. Just think, they will LOVE you because they will reject him and be mad at some point. And Happy Bday Luna!