Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend


Some of you may remember THIS post from last year. At the time, I was in the midst of adoption paperwork and payments, and eating mac 'n' cheese for dinner three nights a week, just to make ends meet - so I was unable to fly out to Seattle and be a part of the service for my grandpa. He was a World War II veteran who was rightfully buried in a plot at Tahoma National Cemetary.

This weekend, my sister, my cousin, Steve and I had the opportunity to take a drive out to the cemetary. It is so beautiful there. Very peaceful. Surrounded by enormous evergreen trees with majestic views of Mt. Rainier. Overall, not a bad place to be laid to rest. Most of the plots around his are other WWII and Korean War veterans, but sadly, there are young people from the Iraq War buried there too. Clearly, on this day (and every day!) we need to remember them and their families, and the enormous sacrifices they have given - as well as all the people serving in our military around the world.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Beautiful post, Julie. Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

That was beautiful my friend

Betsy said...

I enjoyed your post. It's a great way to honor your Grandfather and others who've served our country so bravely!

Steve, Killer, Luna said...

That was a beautiful note to celebrate and honor. I'm happy you included me on that trip.